WEEK 9: Oedipus

Darkness is used in the Oedipus play when Oedipus says to Teiresias, “How needlessly your riddles darken everything.”(29;439), Oedipus referring to the unnecessary dilemma of the blind man, always sobbing about his situation, been unable to see, which enables him to see the truth. Blindness is used when Oedipus is teasing the blind man, Teiresias, for his condition, “If you are King, at least I have the right no less to speak in my defense against you. Of that much I am master. I am no slave of yours, but Loxias’, and so I shall not enroll myself with Creon for my patron. Since you have taunted me with being blind, here is my word for you.” (28;407-413). And again when Oedipus speaks to the Teiresias, “…this wily beggar who has only eyes for his own gains, but blindness is his skill.” (27;388+389), referring that blindness is used as an ability for gains. Sight is used in the play when Teiresias tell Oedipus a curse he has which will be the cause for him to leave Thebes, “A deadly footed, double striking curse, from father and mother both, shall drive you forth out of this land, with darkness on your eyes, that now have such straight vision.” (28;418-421).

The relationship between men and god in the play is different, as it says, the gods punishes them with deadly pesticides that does not have mercy on them,”…a God that carries fire, a deadly pestilence, is on our town, strikes us and spares not, and the house of Cadmus is emptied of its people while black Death grows rich in groaning and in lamentation. ” (12;28-32). Different in Homer’s The Odyssey, because gods do take part of their lives in a positive way since they tried to help him, intervening to have mercy on Odysseus and help him find his way home, when Athena speaks to Zeus for help, “…But my heart is broken for Odysseus, the master mind of war, so long cast away upon an island in the running sea…Are you not moved by this, Lord of Olympos?.